Saturday, 15 November 2014

A Simple and Effective Strategy to Practice Sight Words


Practicing those tricky Word Wall Words! Practice, Practice and more practice is the key to having your first graders or any early reader grow their sight vocabulary.  I am going to share with your a simple strategy I use and a resource to help with the trickiest of words - the rule breaker words.

I am linking up with Mrs. McClain over at Buzzing with Mrs. McClain for her monthly You Oughta Know blog hop. Other bloggers and I will be sharing things that you “oughta know” for your classroom.

In First Grade we practice all the time.  We need to build our vocabulary and I love to find fun ways for kids to do just that.  One idea that I have implemented in my room years ago was "word wall pockets".  Every week students are introduced to five new words for the week and are given these words on little flashcards.  I create a table in Powerpoint with 2 columns and 5 rows and then print them off and slice them up so I can save paper and make them the perfect size for a library pocket. They cut them apart and store them in their pocket.  




The fun starts when they get to sit with their partners and practice their words.  Sitting knee to knee and eye to eye, one student shows the other the word and them puts the card in the proper pocket depending on whether it is a "word I know" or a "word I need to practice".  They truly enjoy working with their partners to do this.  I have paired up stronger students with weaker students so that I have lots of little teachers around the room prompting and coaching.  I hear lots of "try it again" and "sound it out" and "yes, you got it, good for you".  

When they are done their pockets they put them aside and write the current week's words on each other's backs and then they try to guess what the word is.  They are all so engaged during this little chunk of our day!  


Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. It is a great time in the day when everyone is very engaged and on task. Sometimes that is a rarity in Grade 1!

      Delete
  2. I love your Word Jail! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Erin and for your life saving message about my link!

      Delete
  3. I love your "Word Jail". We have a similar set up with our new phonics series, but I like the title of word jail better than just plain ole "word wall" lol!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine, I am glad you like it. I swear by it! The kids love it and are so good at reading and writing those words because of it and the time we take to review those words.

      Delete
  4. This is so CUTE! I teach 6th grade math as you might know...but check out primary blogs to keep my self updated on what is going on in the world because I really do not want to teach middleschool for the rest of my life. I found your blog through the hop and I stinking love this idea! I pinned it to my primary pin board to remember for that day that I get to be a primary teacher!

    Have a great day!
    Jameson
    Lessons With Coffee 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it! It is a fun way to practice tricky words. Thanks for stopping by. Come back again and check out the cool things we do :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this terrific idea. I started following you on bloglovin. Super cute blog. Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hopping over! I am happy that you took the time to follow my blog.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! I swear by it to teach those tricky words. Thanks for stopping by.

      Christina

      Delete